How-to: Change your address/register national health insurance at your local ward office upon moving.


Moving around can be quite a difficult thing,and even more difficult when moving around in an unfamiliar country!
Here are a few tips and contact information to help you in your changing-of-address endeavors.
Most wards in Tokyo generally ask that you change your address within 14 days of moving. Although this is more a guideline, than a rule, it is very highly recommended to follow because if not, you will not get your mail. Also, anything else you do (such as registering and paying for national health insurance, opening a bank account, registering for a cellphone, etc) will be very restricted.


In order to complete a change of address, you will need

  1. Your moving out certificate (an example below)
  2. Residence card (or special permanent resident certificate)
  3. Always prepare a second form of I.D. just in case.
  4. Personal seal stamp/inkan (印鑑), if you have one.
  5. Also bring your health insurance card to update it and change the address

In Japan, the change of address takes place at a ward office. Due to each ward office functioning in different ways, it is important to to know what specifically needs to be done in each ward to complete the process correctly.


Please keep in mind!

To move around between Tokyo, Yokohama, Kanagawa, and Chiba and vice-versa the procedures may vary in what documents are necessary to bring.
Please check out the list of ward offices below and search the English website or contact them for specific information.
When moving from one ward to another, you must first retrieve the “moving out certificate” from the ward you lived in and bring it to the new ward you will be moving to. From there you will be able to register for national health insurance and update your foreigner card.
Before or within 14 days of your move, please visit your previous ward office and use these phrases.


konichiwa, hikkoshi wo shimashite

Hello, I have moved houses


tenshyutsu todoke wo itadakitaidesu.

I would like to have a “moving out” certificate.


hokensho mo henkou shitekudasai.

Please also change my health insurance card.


Once you have received it, ask the clerk to help or fill it out following the guidelines below. Then bring this sheet, along with any other materials you need and go to your new ward address.

If you hand this sheet to the person at the counter, they should know what to do and begin to take you through the process. Most ward office you can ask them to speak english and they will do their best! As general advice, ask a Japanese friend to translate for you if it is over the phone or even at the office! Good luck!


Example of what to bring, Shibuya ward office!

Type of Notification Notification Period What to Bring
Notification of moving to Shibuya City from overseas Within 14 days of moving to Shibuya City Your residence card (or passport, if your residence card will be issued at a later date) or special permanent resident certificate
Note: Household members may be required to submit documentation verifying their
to the head of the household.
Notification of acquiring a medium- or long-term visa Within 14 days after acquiring medium- or long-term visa status
Notification of moving to Shibuya City from another municipality in Japan Within 14 days of moving to Shibuya City Your moving-out certificate and residence card (or special permanent resident certificate)
Notification of change of address (when moving within Shibuya City) Within 14 days of moving Your residence card (or special permanent resident certificate) and NHI card (if you have one)
Notification of moving out of Shibuya City Before you move out Documentation verifying the ID of the person filing the notification, such as a residence card, NHI card (if you have one), or personal seal registration card (if registered)
Note: When you file a moving-out notification, you will receive a moving-out certificate.
Notification of moving out of Japan Before you move out Documentation verifying the ID of the person filing the notification, such as a residence card, NHI card (if you have one), or personal seal registration card (if registered)


Tokyo Ward Offices

Ward Address TEL
Chiyoda 1-2-1 Kudanminami, Chiyoda-ku 102-8688 03-3264-2111
Chuo 1-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku 104-8404 03-3543-0211
Minato 1-5-25 Shibakoen, Minato-ku 105-8511 03-3578-2111
Shinjuku 1-4-1 Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku-ku 160-8484 03-3209-1111
Bunkyo 1-16-21 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku 112-8555 03-3812-7111
Taito 4-5-6 Higashi-Ueno, Taito-ku 110-8615 03-5246-1111
Sumida 1-23-20 Azumabashi, Sumida-ku 130-8640 03-5608-1111
Koto 4-11-28 Toyo, Koto-ku 135-8383 03-3647-9111
Shinagawa 2-1-36 Hiromachi, Shinagawa-ku 140-8715 03-3777-1111
Meguro 2-19-15 Kamimeguro, Meguro-ku 153-8573 03-3715-1111
Ota 5-13-14 Kamata, Ota-ku, Tokyo 144-8621 03-5744-1111
Setagaya 4-21-27 Setagaya, Setagaya-ku 154-8504 03-5432-1111
Shibuya 1-1 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku 150-8010 03-3463-1211
Nakano 4-8-1 Nakano, Nakano-ku 164-8501 03-3389-1111
Suginami 1-15-1 Asagayaminami, Suginami-ku 166-8570 03-3312-2111
Toshima 1-18-1 Higashi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku 170-8422 03-3981-1111
Kita 1-15-22 Ojihoncho, Kita-ku 114-8508 03-3908-1111
Arakawa 2-2-3 Arakawa, Arakawa-ku 116-8501 03-3802-3111
Itabashi 2-66-1 Itabashi, Itabashi-ku 173-8501 03-3964-1111
Nerima 6-12-1 Toyotamakita, Nerima-ku 176-8501 03-3993-1111
Adachi 1-17-1 Chuohoncho, Adachi-ku 120-8510 03-3880-5111
Katsushika 5-13-1 Tateishi, Katsushika-ku 124-8555 03-3695-1111
Edogawa 1-4-1 Chuo, Edogawa-ku 132-8501 03-3652-1151



Ward Address TEL
Nishi Chuo Nishi Ward 1-5-10, Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture 045-320-8484
Aoba Ichigaocho Aoba Ward 31-4, Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture 045-978-2323
Kohoku 045-978-2323
Naka 045-224-8181